19 March 2008

I Am Legend

Since I've acquired the asinine idea of reviewing sampled goods and whatnot, its time to talk about this movie starring Will Smith. Its my second viewing of it, this time at home.

My opinion on it hasn't changed. While this falls into the 'apocalyptic' genre of movies when the entire world is destroyed/infected/screwed, it has an individual feel unlike other movies that I've seen. However, it also feels too much like say.. Resident Evil with the whole mutation/zombie effect.

I liked the beginning. I liked how you didn't encounter the 'Darkseekers' till almost 30 minutes in. I really liked Samantha the dog. In my highly professional opinion, she should get the best actress award.

Will Smith played an excellent role as the overzealous Dr. Neville who refused to leave ground zero until he found a cure. My biggest gripe comes from the Darkseekers though. They don't make much sense. So lets talk about them.

  • They can smell blood from miles away.
  • They have lost all human instinct.
  • They have incredible strength/speed.
  • They can be hurt by light.
  • They control the infected dogs.
  • They communicate through roars.
  • They adapt (Trapping Neville?)
  • They have a leader. (Boggle)
Alright. So if they lost all human instinct and have no way of controlling each other due to such savage nature, how (And why) do they control dogs? And why do they have a leader? I really didn't like that fact.

There are plenty of questions still as well. What do they eat? Each other? If thats the case, as was hinted, they should not have a leader. There would be no way to control them, not even through brute strength, since they all have incredible attributes.

And why do they still have clothes? Obviously, it was required for the given movie rating, but this is a noteworthy nitpick in my books.

If they lost their abilities to be human in all ways, they should not be smart enough to move 'Fred' the dummy or even set a trap up the way Neville did. Even if they were watching him, which they shouldn't, since they aren't smart- that is to say that there isn't a separate strain of infection that allows a number of them (Like the leader) to maintain their ingenuity.

I mean hell, even if I watched Neville set up a trap the way he did, I probably wouldn't be able to figure it out and repeat the necessary steps to have a successful trap. It just isn't possible with these guys based on what we got from the movie.

And in the end, I really don't think that a small colony in the middle of nowhere surrounded by high walls will really be a safeguard against these guys. I mean, if they were able to set up a trap against Neville, they will be able to scale those walls with ease, especially since they are able to climb buildings, Spiderman style. It should've been in a cave or something. With alot of light. Or on an island. Something better.

I don't know how the book is but I really did't feel much from this movie aside from Sam's death (Oh crap- spoiler!). It was standard in my books.

I give I Am Legend an average score of 3 out of 5.

No comments: